Oct 2, 2009

"Loaded" Potato Salad

Let me just start out by saying I am not a "maker of potato salad"! Every time I do it ends up mushy!! But when I was asked to make some for Auntie Jenn's rehearsal dinner I figured I needed to come up with something good! I saw an idea for this online and came up with my own recipe. It turned out really good! The recipe is below:

INGREDIENTS
7-10 medium red potatoes, cooked and cubed
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped red onion
3-5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (reserve 1 for garnish)
1-2 teaspoons snipped chives
salt and pepper to taste

We love "Good Eats" on Food Network and used Alton Browns recipe on how to cook the potatoes and the refrigerate them overnight so they wouldn't be mushy:



Taken from Food Network:
"Place potatoes into a large heavy-bottomed pot. Cover with cold water and place over medium heat. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat and remove lid. Gently simmer until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and place into an ice bath to cool. Remove skin by rubbing with a tea towel. Slice potatoes into rounds and place into a zip top bag. Add (3TBSp. cider) vinegar and toss to coat all of the potatoes. Place the bag into the refrigerator overnight."

You can find Alton's full recipe HERE.
The next day in a large bowl combine sour cream, mayo, cheese, red onion and some fresh ground salt and pepper and then mix well. Add the cold potatoes and toss gently to coat. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, snipped fresh chives, and crumbled bacon. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Check out the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap for more great recipes here:
Also check out this link for some yummy fall fall themed recipes! I LOVE fall foods!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks really yummy! I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete