May 15, 2009

Homemade Coffee Creamer

I found a bunch of recipes for this online and I know how the store bought stuff has all sorts of "junk" in them so I decided to give it a try!



My first attempt was Chocolate Coconut...yum! When Pat came home he thought I had bought his some Sherman Farm chocolate milk and his eye's got really big. I immediately said "It's not what you think" and when I told him what it was he went straight to the coffee pot to brew a pot! He really liked it and so did my sister (I did too and that's why there's not much left!).


Here is the recipe:

Combine:

-1 can of sweetened condensed milk
-1 can of evaporated milk
-1/2 cups milk or half and half or a combo of these



Then add:
-2 T. Vanilla
(Stop here if you only want vanilla flavored creamer )
-1-2 T. Coconut Extract
-3 T. cocoa powder

If you are using cocoa powder I found it was easier to mix it into the sweetened condensed milk first and then whisk in the other milks and extract. It ended up being lumpy the first time I made it because I added it last!

I was not sure what I was going to keep it in because I wanted it to be pourable, but then I remembered I still had some pour spouts from our days working at Sherman's and a bottle laying around somewhere and it worked great!

If you want to experiment with more flavors try some of these:

Vanilla
to the base recipe, add
2 Tablespoon of Vanilla

Cinnamon Vanilla
to the base recipe, add
1 Tablespoon of Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


Chocolate
to the base recipe, add
1 Tablespoon of Vanilla
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder


*Chocolate Mint
to the base recipe, add
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon mint extract


Dulce de Leche
to the base recipe, add
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 Tablespoons caramel sauce or canned dulce de leche

Note: consider decreasing the amount of sweetened condensed milk in the base recipe by 2 Tablespoons to keep your creamer from being too sweet.

Amaretto
to the base recipe, add
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon almond extract


*Chocolate Orange
to the base recipe, add
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 T. cocoa powder
1 teaspoon orange extract


*Chocolate Cinnamon
to the base recipe, add
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder

Or experiment and come up with your own!

3 comments:

  1. For what it's worth - there's a link on the recipe swap for homemade sweetened condensed milk today. It's from Cents to get Debt Free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made my own but I thought it might be an off flavor for creamer?? I will have to test it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete