Oct 16, 2008

"Droplet" Apple Oven Pancake

Here it is! Our "droplet" recipe using 100% "droplet" apples picked up by the one and only Little Explorer Homeschool Group (check out our apple picking post to find out about droplets). This was inspired by a German Apple Pancake recipe in The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook which is my favorite cookbook!!! Anyway I was craving something apple for breakfast when I remembered this recipe that I have been wanting to try. I reduced the amount of sugar by 1/4 c. and added cinnamon to give it my own twist. Here is the recipe:


"Droplet" Apple Oven Pancake

Turn the oven on 450 degrees.
Heat 1 T. butter in a 10 inch ovenproof skillet by placing it in the oven while it is coming up to temperature. In a bowl combine the following and beat with a whisk until smooth:
2 eggs
1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
Once the skillet is hot spread the butter around to coat the pan and pour in the batter. Bake for 10 minutes and then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes.
While the pancake is baking peel and slice 4-5 apples to make about 4 cups. Then in a saucepan combine :
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 T. cornstarch
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter
Cook over medium heat for five minutes until thick and bubbly. Add the apples and cook over medium heat for another 10 minutes or so until the apples are soft but not mush. Make sure you stir it often so the mixture does not burn. To serve pour most of the apple mixture over the pancake and cut into wedges. Spoon more of the apples onto each serving if desired.


Our Rating:
The kids all ate this and had seconds!!! Ethan even had thirds!!!! They all said they would eat it again so I think we will make it for Daddy on Saturday morning. It was completely gone so I think I will need to double it and make it in my Stoneware Bar Pan to make sure there is enough for him. The boys would have liked it even better if there was no apples in the topping. They ate them but there was a bunch left that I piled onto mine, yummy! I don't think I will double the apple topping for my family but if your kids like cooked apples you will need to!! The kids gave this recipe three out of five stars but I would have to give it at least four.


Check out the Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe swap going on now for more yummy recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment