Mar 5, 2010

Tex-Mex Meat Pie

This recipe is adapted from a Pillsbury cookbook I have called Budget Ground Beef Recipes. It originally used frozen meat balls but Pat and I both agreed that it sounded icky, so I decided to modify it! Check out the recipe below!

INGREDIENTS
1pie crust (I used a Jiffy box mix because I was in a hurry!)
1/2 lb. ground beef (I added a small diced onion to this while cooking)
1cup corn frozen, fresh, or canned
1
cup salsa
3/4cup shredded Cheddar cheese (3 oz)

shredded lettuce

sour cream


DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 375°F. Cook ground beef and diced onion until no longer pink and season with salt and pepper. Roll out pie crust onto a round pizza pan or cookie sheet to form a large circle. Spread ground beef mixture in the center of the crust leaving a couple of inches around the edge.

In small bowl, mix corn and 1/2 cup of the salsa. Spoon the corn mixture over the ground beef and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Fold edge of crust over filling, leaving an opening in the middle.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer.

We used lettuce, sour cream, and the remaining salsa as topping!
It came out really good! It maybe could have used a little more spice in the ground beef mixture? But got Daddy's seal of approval!!


Since the crust mixture made 2 crusts we wrapped up the rest and used it the next morning to make homemade poptarts! My friend and I decided this would be a fun thing to make since our kids really like them! Check out her post here.

Yum!

Check out the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap for more yummy recipes!

6 comments:

  1. Gee a homemade poptart would have been great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both look great! I think I'll add both to this week's menu plans :-)
    I saw your link over at the recipe swap, the title caught my eye since I posted my Tamale pie experiment. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that I did link this up on my menu :-)

    http://seasidesimplicity.blogspot.com/2010/03/show-and-tell-meals-and-menus.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, we tried this last night. And it was a big hit. Super easy to make. I made my crust and left out the corn, but the rest was the same. Yummy, I put mine over salad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We tried it to (last night)! I made my own crust and did everything else the same. Everyone loved it, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete